Thursday, April 30, 2009

Falling

The sun glowed behind the silver clouds
A light breeze swirled tiny crystalline flakes in little tizzies.

The goal was simple: getting comfortable.
I wanted to change into jeans before Sunday lunch.
The only difficulty: reaching the front door.
Steep, narrow stairs waited to trip and break me.
They succeeded and my world went spinning
As I skidded headfirst
With knees and shins bouncing off the concrete.

I slid to a crunching halt.
My large handbag protected my ribs
But my wrist and legs had hit every step.
My knees stung with dirt
My right hand would not move
My brain throbbed to my rapid pulse
And my voice was hiding.

Could I say anything?
My mouth tried and failed but
‘Help!’ would not come out.
All I could manage was a whimper

A leaden gloom suffused the sky
And a chill wind whipped the snow around in circles.

1 comment:

  1. I especially like the third set of lines (stanza?).

    ReplyDelete