Thursday, April 9, 2009

Creation's Troubadour

One of our rhetoric assignments is to write an English or Shakespearean Sonnet. Fourteen lines of iambic pentameter, three quatrains and one couplet. The rhyme pattern is abab, cdcd, efef, gg. This is the first poem I have ever written and I'm rather excited with how it turned out.

I never read a book that could surpass
The elven histories that have been told
By those historians who, in the grass,
Pay homage to the troubadours of old.
I never saw a film that could retell
In grandeur satisfactory the tale
Of Quasimodo and his glorious bell,
Or show the beauty of old Durin's dale.
I never heard a song that could impart
To all creation God's most wond'rous love
More fully than the highest French Horn part
that soars in celebration of each cove.
Creation is its own inspired Bard
More lovely, poignant than a greeting card.

No comments:

Post a Comment